Saturday, 6 May 2017

3 Powerful Nigerians who begged Jonathan to concede defeat to Buhari in 2015 (Photos)


Former President Goodluck Jonathan is still being called a hero by some for conceding defeat to President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2015 presidential election.

When Jonathan made that historic call to Buhari to congratulate him and concede defeat, many people applauded him.

It appears Jonathan did not take that decision on his own as he was reportedly persuaded by three of his close associates.


The trio were said to have encouraged Jonathan to make the call to Buhari, congratulating him on the electoral victory.

Their names were contained in a book, “Against the Run of Play,” written by the chairman of Editorial Board, ThisDay newspapers, Olusegun Adeniyi. They are: 

  1. Osita Charles



Osita Chidoka was a former aviation minister appointed by Goodluck Jonathan

He was appointed as the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in May 2007 by the then president, Olusegun Obasanjo. After serving for four years, he was re-appointed for a second tenure by ex-President Jonathan in June 2011. He was appointed as the minister of aviation in 2014. 


2. Mohammed Bello Adoke

Adoke is currently facing trial alongside a former minister of petroleum, Dan Etete and others

He was appointed Nigeria’s Attorney General and Minister of Justice in April 2010 by Jonathan. He ceased to be attorney general on May 29, 2015, when Jonathan handed over power to a new government led by President Buhari of the All Progressives Congress. He is facing trial for alleged persion of $1.1 billion, during a controversial transfer of a rich Nigerian oil block, OPL 245 to Malabu, a company linked to Mr. Etete. 

3. Warpamo Owei Dudafa


Dudafa said he was “tormented” by the EFCC in a bid to get him to implicate Jonathan

He was the former special assistant to the president on domestic affairs. He is currently being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). He is a facing a 23-counts charge of conspiracy and concealment of crime proceeds.

In the book which was launched last week, Adeniyi wrote: “The drama unfolding at the Villa on March 21, 2015, four days after the presidential election, would have profound implications for President Jonathan and the nation he led. “Kneeling in front of Jonathan were his Attorney-General and Justice Minister, Mr Mohammed Bello Adoke; Aviation Minister, Mr Osita Chidoka and the Special Assistant to the President on Domestic Affairs, Mr Warpamo–Owei Dudafa.

“The mission of the three officials was to persuade Jonathan to call and congratulate his opponent, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC), even as the final results were still being collated by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

“Chidoka had co-opted Adoke and Dudafa to make the plea after a conversation he had with Jonathan the previous day. The president had acknowledged that the results were going against him and that he was going to concede. This was at a period when Nigerians were unsure of who would win, with many politicians within the then ruling PDP still betting on Jonathan.”

The book was like a tell-all by prominent politicians. Some of the revelations are quite surprising.

One of such was Jonathan’s claims that Boko Haram attacks have reduced because Nigeria is currently being ruled by a president with a Muslim background.

Photo credit: Naija.com
Source: MaDailyGist.com

Share this

0 Comment to "3 Powerful Nigerians who begged Jonathan to concede defeat to Buhari in 2015 (Photos)"

Post a Comment